WordPress: Care & Feeding
May 27, 12:00 PM - 12:40 PM
A stream of information for beginners to seasoned users on WordPress, especially what's new for 2015.
MaAnna's book What Every Site Owner Should Know is free, updated, and expanded. Get it now to tweak your site.
- an average of 26 security holes, most of which cannot be seen from the site, only in the hosting account, and no scanner or checker finds them either
- orphaned files, folders, and database tables from deleted plugins
- multiple abandoned WordPress sites that are no longer being updated
- plugins not configured that are hurting the site and SEO
- resource hog plugins
- plugin conflicts
- too many bad bot hits, chewing up resources
- spammy bot hits with backlinks that will erode SEO over time
03:10 - Don't count on your hosting company to backup for you!
05:45 - A false sense of security; talks about why you should not be relying on plugins alone.
09:45 - Get rid of unnecessary plugins and properly configure the ones you are using; many are serious resource hogs and are slowing your site down.
17:15 - Keep your site updated and backed up DAILY!
18:05 - You need a good backup solution. gives her list of preferred security plugins and stresses again the importance of backing up.
25:35 - answers questions about DDoS attacks.
33:01 - "The days of DIY are over." lays it out that cheap hosting isn't going to cut it anymore. If you want security, backups, performance and reliability, you are going to need to pay for it.
If you came to the show and commented in the events page, you will be put in a notification circle to be invited to future shows.
Host +Zara Altair created *The Midweek Zap*to help you develop an online strategy that works for you and your business. You are here!